Red Quinoa Lunch Salad
Looking for a new whole grain to try? Check out red quinoa. Red quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor and is a great alternative to couscous, white or brown rice. Quinoa has the highest protein content (12-18%) of any whole grain and is also a good source of fiber and magnesium.
1 cup red quinoa
½ cup celery chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 sweet pepper, chopped
1 cup Swiss chard, chopped (also try kale)
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
Salt, pepper, to taste
1. Cook quinoa in rice cooker. 2 ¼ cups water to 1 cup quinoa.
2. Heat olive oil in pan. Add celery and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes.
3. Add summer squash. Cook ~5 minutes.
4. Add greens, let wilt about 1 minute.
6. Mix with cooked red quinoa and added chopped walnuts.
This is a great dish to bring as a brown bag lunch. When classes and school get really hectic, I’ll make this on a Sunday and freeze a few Tupperware containers of this for later in the week or the following week.